Thursday, December 25, 2008


Non-EU foreign nationals wishing to study in Cyprus, and who intend to remain in the country for over three months, are required to get a long-stay study visa.

The following items are generally required for admission:

a college application form, including a non-refundable charge;
attested and translated diplomas or certificates;
a language proficiency certificate;
proof of financial means (more than 20 000 Euros per annum);
a copy of your passport.

Eligible for grants, loans/scholarships

Financial support is provided in the form of scholarships from the state as well as the higher education institutions. Each higher education institution has its own scholarship programme/policy.

Public tertiary education
Cypriot students receive a government grant for their tuition and therefore pay no fees. Foreign students pay tuition fees, apart from EU students who are exempted.

Private schools of tertiary education
Tuition fees for private tertiary education institutions are paid by the students. Scholarships are offered to excellent local students entering such institutions. Grants may also be given by the institutions to students who excel academically or in sports in the course of their studies, and to students facing serious financial difficulties. In certain cases, the government supports students belonging to groups with special financial needs.

Study in cyprus

How do I apply?
For access to higher education institutions in Cyprus, prospective students should contact the institution of their choice directly. Further information for international students is available on the Cyprus Higher Education website.

Access to public education
There is a limited number of places for overseas students who wish to study at the University of Cyprus or at the public schools of higher education. The applicant must be competent in the language in which the relevant course is taught (see below). Additional entrance criteria may be set by the institution or department responsible for the programme in the case of international students.

Access to private education
All applicants must have completed a six-year secondary (high) school education or the equivalent to be considered for admission. Since the language of instruction is English, proof of proficiency in the English language is also a requirement for admission.

Language proficiency
The official languages of public universities are Greek and Turkish and international students are required to have a good knowledge of one of these languages. There are some departments and public higher education institutions in which the language of instruction is English, for which proof of competence is required. All private schools of tertiary education are English- speaking and require proof of proficiency in English. Some of their programmes use the Greek language, in which case competence in Greek is necessary.